Friday, May 23, 2008

IF

(Intermittent Fasting)

So, I finally got to read the book "EatStopEat" and I loved it. I won't spoil all of the good parts (so you read it hehe), but what I really enjoyed the most was how the author (Brad Pilon) dispelled common myths and misconceptions about how fast effects the body. To date, I had subscribed to the common knowledge that, well, everyone else does.

Suffice it to say, I am going to be trying this theory out. Actually, I am trying it today. Victoria offered to try it with me which, I thought was really cool. So, we stopped eating at around 930pm last night. The next time I will be eating is at the Alamo Draft House tonight when we are watching Indiana Jones.

The basic idea behind this is as follows:

"Diets" or "eating plans" most often fail in the long term. Sure, in the short term, they might work really well. How many of you have tried the "South Beach Diet" or the "Abs Diet"? I have. I got pretty good results for the first couple of months, then pretty much said "fuck it, this is way too much work", and went back to whatever I was doing before I started.


FAIL.

Some of the myths/misconceptions that this book speaks to are:

  • the idea that fasting will kill your metabolism.
  • the idea that you will lose muscle mass from fasting.
  • that eating 6-8 times per day will "stoke" your metabolism.
  • why eating "plans" or "diets" typically fail once you extend the observation period.

The bottom line is that reading this book really made me think about some of the ideas that I have accepted as conventional wisdom. What I like even better is that the claims that are made are backed up by scientific studies and data. They are not just said and expected to be accepted. I would recommend this book to anyone, if nothing more than to just have some new ideas to think about in the health/nutrition arena.

It is currently 11:13am. I have not eaten anything since 9:30pm last night. Overall, I feel just fine. I do feel some pangs of hunger, but they come and go. I am trying to not think about it. Ultimately, I would like to be able to do this 2x/week.

Which brings me to talking about some things that I am doing to get ready for my next test.

  1. Josh Hillis fighter workout which is 3x/week (starting on Monday).
  2. Lots of jump rope.
  3. Lots of form practicing.
  4. San He Chuan 3x/day ( I am shooting for 3x/day, we shall see how that pans out ).

Anyway, to sum up, right now, I am about 205-210 depending on what day and what scale. As I move forward with the above AND with IF, I will post changes, if any.

 

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger