Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Reflections on getting a black belt...

So, it's been about a week or so since I got my black sash in Tai Chi. After beginning to learn my new material, a few things have occurred to me.

1) I have only started to scratch the surface of the awesome stuff that is available to learn.

2) I thought that I would feel satisfied once getting to this point, but I am finding that the exact opposite it true. I want more. I want to know more. I want to do more. I am capable of more.

3) I will be doing this for the rest of my life as long as I am able... and there is NO way that I will run out of things to learn.

In every other art I have taken, black belt always seemed to be the destination. As if to say, when you get to black belt, you're done. Go learn something else.

I think that this mentality comes from so called "fish bowl" schools. You know what I'm talking about. Take Tiger Schulmann's Karate for example. I took one class at this place and never went back. Check the site out, go even take a class at this place or any others... if you know anything at all, you will see that they suck. They are mostly concerned about your tuition and churning out black belts.

It is this kind of karate "business" that has lead me to believe for the better part of my life that black belt is the goal.

Thank you... Shaolin for showing me that this is not a 2-4 year commitment. This is a lifelong thing.

Thank you for showing me that I can always learn and that I have the capacity to hold an infinite amount of information in the human brain of mine. It permeates into every aspect of my life.

Shaolin-Do

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger